You will have received a hard copy in class with all of the pictures. Unfortunately the pictures and format change somewhat for the blog. This is a practice exam. It is not the same as the real exam, but it will give a good idea of the format and content.
Subject: Grade 9 Science
Course Code: SNC 1P1
Date of your real exam:
Thursday, June 18th, 2009
Time: 1:00pm to 2:30pm (1.5 hour)
Total Number of Pages: 11
Student’s Name: _____________________________
Total Marks: _____ /
· Answer the multiple choice questions by circling the answer.
· Dictionaries are not allowed.
· Non-programmable calculators are allowed.
· A periodic table is provided on the last page of the real exam( for this, you may use the internet).
PART A: MULTIPLE CHOICE
CIRCLE THE MOST CORRECT ANSWER.
1. The WHIMIS symbol of a skeletal hand means?
a) dead b) poison
c) explosive d) corrosive
2. Luster means
a) something that pours easily b) a chemical change
c) good conductor d) shiny
3. CuSO4 is a(n) ?
a) smelly b) element
c) compound d) organism
4. Scrambled eggs is an example of a ______________ change?
a) physical b) chemical
5. Iron rusts is an example of a __________________ change?
a) physical b) chemical
6. The following are characteristics of a PHYSICAL CHANGE.
a) can get the original substance back b) new substance
c) no colour change d) all of the above
7. B is the symbol for which element?
a) boron b) mercury
c) beryllium d) beaches
8. In an atom, where do we find electrons?
a) orbit b) periodic table
c) nucleus d) centre
9. What does the atomic mass number represent?
a) number of neutrons + protons b) number of electrons
c) number of orbits d) number of atoms
10. What is the atomic mass of sodium (Na)? [see big periodic table attached to test]
a) 20 b) 32
c) 36 d) 40
11. Which cell organelle is only in plants and produces energy from sunlight?
a) mitochondria b) chloroplast
c) nucleus d) golgi bodies
2. What stage of mitosis is shown in the picture? In the picture the chromosomes will have separated to either side of the original cell and the cytoplasm is begining to cleave.
a) prophase b) metaphase
c) anaphase d) telophase
13. What is the ability to regrow a lost body part called?
a) binary fission b) budding
c) meiosis d) regeneration
14. Which of the following are constellations?
a) Cassiopeia b) both A and D
c) Venus d) Orion e) all of the above
15. Satellites are far away from us?
a) they are closer than from here to New York b) solar flares
c) they are billions of kilometres away
ART B: CHEMISTRY SHORT ANSWER
1. Draw the BOHR-RUTHERFORD diagram for Chlorine (Cl) and Sodium (Na). Please use a periodic table from the internet to get the atomic mass and the atomic number.
Please find a copy of the periodic table. Label the families of the periodic table: halogens, alkaline earth metals, alkali metals or noble gases? Give a characteristic of each family.
PART C: ELECTRICITY
1. MATCH THE STATEMENT WITH THE TERM. PUT THE LETTER IN THE BOX.
This exercise does not copy well to the blog. Instead please find the best term to go with the statement.
This happens when a negative and positive object are brought together.
This part of an atom never moves.
This type of object does not conduct electricity
What happens to your heart with a good shock (0.3 Amps)
The charge on a comb rubbed with fur.
2. Draw a circuit diagram using the electric circuit symbols which includes all of the following parts:
-2 cells in parallel
-2 bulbs in series
3. What is one advantage of a parallel circuit? ___________________________________________
PART D: BIOLOGY
1. Draw the 4 stages of mitosis (prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase)
No writing or labels needed, just the drawings please.
2. Asexual vs Sexual reproduction. Please complete a chart. Give 3 points for each.
Asexual Reproduction / Sexual Reproduction
3. How do a baby’s heart, brain, lungs and senses develop throughout the 2 trimesters of pregnancy?
4. What do you think happens to a baby if the mother is exposed to poisons (alcohol, drugs, carcinogens?)
5. Label the pistil, filaments and anther of the lily. (please feel free to draw the structures or find an image on the internet.)
PART E: SPACE
1. Name 2 constellations (e.g. Ursa Minor – Little bear or little dipper, northern sky, summer constellation).
Give two details about each.
2. Put the following in order. Write “Gas Giant” beside the gas giant planets.
-SUN -SATURN -EARTH
-MERCURY -MARS -JUPITER
-URANUS -NEPTUNE- e.g.Gas Giant -VENUS
3. What elements from the periodic table make the sun hot? Draw a diagram.
4. Is the study of space important? Why?
PART F: CONCLUSION
1. Name one experiment and what you liked about it.